Monday, December 19, 2011

Beyond Your Comfort Zone Lies a Gift


I like to listen to piano while I run…. It allows the dream within to well up inside of me.  I am just returning from a sunset run in the Colorado country side…. a run I almost didn’t take…. and it reminds me of the good that is almost always just beyond our comfort zone.  You see, a run doesn’t always stir up cozy and comfy emotion when I think of taking it, especially when it’s been a while ;-p  But I’ve been craving “deeper” lately and I know myself well enough to know that a run lifted to inspiration by the chorus line of piano, almost always takes me deeper.  My whole day has been a bit like this….. I wake for the second day in a new home several miles from the town I grew up in, both in sobriety and in life.  What that meant was that I needed to hop in and get my toush to a new meeting in a new place, even if it is only 15 miles from everything sooooo comfortable.  I watched as excuse after excuse whirled in my head of why today wasn’t a good day to go to a “new” meeting and how later in the week would be perfect.  Luckily I am identifying more with the Spirit within me lately and I knew better than to listen to that voice for I needed a meeting.  I’m so glad I showed up because I felt immediately welcomed and remembered that these groups always have a tint of home to them, no matter where you go.  It reminds me of a meeting that some friends and I four wheeled to in torrential downpour in the deep south of Costa Rica.  We knew we needed a meeting and if it took three of us riding a single four-wheeler for half an hour in a down-pour, we were going to get there(we did it with gut wrenching belly roars for the sheer ridiculousness of it all.)  We did, and they waited for us to arrive to begin the meeting.  We drank warm coffee and listened to the rain pouring on the roof of this home as we sank into the feeling of being home in an aa meeting in a foreign country.  We left  with full hearts, ease in our being and in garbage bags with arm and head holes cut out.  If that’s not a special experience worth being sober for, I don’t know what is.

There it is, just beyond your comfort zone, another sweet gift.  Beyond the rain, beyond the fear of something new, beyond the comfort of staying home is this Light, this Life that we are sober for.  There is no reason to be sober if your plan is to stay the same.  The point of sobriety is to step into your greatness, to sink your teeth into life.  What is just beyond your comfort zone?  What extra step can you take in your sobriety today?  I guarantee it will reveal a gift.  Open yourself up by intending a state of awe for the Grace that is always occurring.  So much Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment