Monday, December 5, 2011

Rising Above the Crud Through Saying Yes

The conditions don’t have to be perfect to practice.  When I say practice, I mean spiritual practice, which could be anything from reading a paragraph or poem from a book, meditating, praying, being in and of service, taking a yoga class, singing, painting…. It could b anything that is dedicated to knowing the God within more clearly and or expressing the God within more fully, which in actuality is to know a greater version of one’s True self.  I notice the change in me through my sobriety during times like today when I don’t have my mat for yoga class(it’s locked in my mom’s car with my dog who has the most beautiful red Christmas bow on – thanks Mom!) or a towel to keep me from slipping and sliding, but I go anyway because it is more important for me to show up for the things that are good for me than to look good doing it.  I have lost a huge chunk of my connection with the part of me that spent so much time caring what other people thought and the tireless hours perfecting every detail that I could possibly control about a situation…how I walked in the room, how my smile looked( my nervous smile vs my confident smile, this boot or that, hair down, hair up, what I would say I was doing next if asked… that kind of petty BS)  Wow, as I reflect back on all of that stuff – it seems totally exhausting and giant waste and diminishment of life energy.  I am learning to be comfortable in and as my authentic self.  I make mistakes(catastrophic ones in size sometimes) but I soar like an eagle in other moments of my life.  This perspective in my life gives way to compassion for others for I know that I may catch you in a moment of soaring like an eagle, or I may catch you in a moment of dying to your old self and struggling in the letting go.  I may catch a view of you somewhere in between but I strive to connect with you in genuine compassion and love no matter where you are in your journey for each moment of the journey is as precious as the next and in my world as I am letting go of the need to be perfect, I am proportionately letting go of my need for you fulfill some false idea of perfect too.  Ahhh, a sweet gentleness I feel in this moment…. A gratitude for saying yes to yoga a couple of hours ago, even though it did mean renting a mat and slipping and sliding around a little and not looking as cool as my ego might think I look sometimes anyway :p This is the gift of communing with goodness within through the art and the practice of yoga.  From this place I can forgive and therefore release myself from some petty conversation that has been going on around me about the details of my past and be present to being honest and real, right here and right now.  I chose to be open and honest and to break trail in life in ways that no one before me has, and I’m ok with that.  In fact, I love being different!  I love being me.  I love you being you.  You worry about your business and I’ll appreciate it and let me worry about my business and I’ll appreciate that too.  Much Love as you reveal more, and never less of who you truly are today.  Yoga rocks and life is Good!

No comments:

Post a Comment