Monday, March 19, 2012

Prayer Makes Us Available


Sitting in a coffee shop waiting for a friend, as she embarks upon her “compassion project,” – we just got out of a spectacular meeting on prayer.  Does life get any better than this?!  Over the past week I have upped my meetings and my focus on my sobriety as I walk the pathway of my dreams unfolding.  Now more than ever do I feel the importance of anchoring into my sobriety – after all it’s how I got to where I am and therefore I am more grateful than ever for the very gift of sobriety. 

This week I had the opportunity to take a meeting into the ICU at The Aspen Valley Hospital for a guy in our fellowship who hit a tree while skiing a few days ago.  We read out of the big book and shared, just as we would at a meeting.  It was deepening, expansive and overall – such a gift.  I had this moment where I looked around at the faces of those people who showed up at our friend’s bedside and realized that I would not want to give “this” up for anything, including a drink.  I also had a moment of realization that when I had a group of people surrounding my bed some ten months earlier as I was in the grip of my disease, I made a promise to myself and had the feeling that I couldn’t wait to be sober enough, clean enough, available enough to be the bedside of another.  My, how the seasons turn and how grateful I am to be available to the others, to the program and to life at large.  I’m finding that availability is a heavenly state of consciousness.

Our topic on prayer struck a chord with me as my dedication to prayer over the years has evolved so much.  I appreciated someone’s comments on how there is no wrong way to pray.  I appreciated the comments in regards to the evolution of prayer from the “drive by prayers” consisting of prayer for oneself to the prayer from that deep place praying to know God’s will and to carry that out and, people’s experience with prayer on everything in between.  The important part is that we pray in whatever our own way may be.   

This life in sobriety, truly is so rich.  Dive in.  Much Love 

No comments:

Post a Comment