Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Independent From the Ties that Used to Bind


The day before the 4th of July marking Independence Day.  I can’t help but wonder how independent we really are as a society and as individuals.  Is being independent, being free.? Or perhaps have we reached the other end of the evolutionary cycle – the point where bridging the borders and recognizing ourselves as part of the One community of life,  and of the world would be more empowering, enlightening and freeing.  I dunno – what I do recognize is the love that I have for the 12 step community.  As people flood Aspen to participate in the 4th of July festivities I find solace, joy and great gratitude in the rooms filled with the odd family member of those visiting families, who is brave enough to endure a 4th of July in Aspen amongst the partiers, the to do’s and the overall increase in what is already an intensely powerful energy.  This morning I chaired my first meeting of this particular service position and as always – I asked my sponsor to kick of this period of time by sharing her story.  She shared honestly and therefore powerfully from her heart.  I was struck by how wonderful the program of AA really is in Aspen.  I looked around the room at all of the incredible women who I relate so much too.  The kind of woman who is going to go for a quick 4 mile hike in the morning, followed by a really nice breakfast with friends, time with family and a picnic dinner outside the Aspen Music Festival.  These are my kind of women and this is my kind of sobriety.  For a while I was stuck with “the grass is greener” lenses in my shades.  I kept thinkin’ everybody else had something goin on that I didn’t and slowly but surely with some prayer, a dedication to these steps and a solid spiritual practice, I’m starting to really realize that of course others have wonderful things happening in their lives – those wonderful things being perfect for their lives, and me…..well, I have got it goin’ on too!  I have got it goin’ on my with sobriety while others have their drink goin’ on to celebrate the 4th.  My sobriety is perfect for and their drink is somehow perfect for them.  My friends are Divinely appointed and perfect for me and other groups of women and friends have exactly the perfect Divine idea unfolding in their lives.  So this 4th of July I celebrate my independence from wanting a drink or to be anywhere else in the world and allow myself to fully experience the overflow of gifts in every area of my life.  I live it. Love it. Bring It. By Being my Authentic Self, right exactly where I am.  Your good is right where you are, open your heart and your eyes to seeing this truly and rightly.  This Independence day chose to notice your independence from that which used to bind and your freedom to be more of who were meant to be, all the time.  Love and Blessings

No comments:

Post a Comment