Monday, May 13, 2013

Uncovering Gifts Through Releasing Defenses


It’s the dawn of a new day and the silhouettes of the palm tree’s in the early morning sky, bring a smile to my heart.  I’m tired this morning but I’m up to meet my commitments of writing and heading to a 6:30am yoga class.  I got to share “my story” at Betty Ford last night and it’s amazing how, with time, overall clarity increases.  I’m becoming more clear each day about who I am.  I am becoming increasingly clear about who I am not.  And now, I am beginning the journey of discovering the deeper thought patterns & belief systems which lead to my emotional sobriety or lack there of.  A few months ago, I identified the root of emotional hangovers as the result of my character defenses taking the wheel.  The longer I allowed myself to be run by that character defect the longer and more fierce the emotional hangover(which oh by the way feels strikingly like a drinking/using hangover).  I don’t know about you, but I hate hangovers(what a fine waste of good time and life energy) so this alone continues to be the motivation to do the work to alleviate and remove the hangovers altogether!  It never ceases to amaze me when I hit another layer of understanding of the Principles offered by the Program…. This latest understanding is of that of the removal of Character Defects.  In order that I might find more freedom in my program, I must first IDENTIFY my character defects – those ways which I react(to protect my self) to fear as it arises.  The removal of these character defects gives me the ability to respond – ie response-ability!  When I am able to respond instead of react, I am empowered instead of depleted and bowled over.  Yep, this work is definitely for me.  Today, I identify righteousness, control and impatience as ways to respond to the fears that I am not good enough and the fear that nothing is going to work out without my direct hand it(lack of faith) and I ask God to please remove these that I might experience my true state of humility and faith.  Thank you God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment