Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Seeking the Smoothness in Transitioning from Within


Sober straight, free from all mind altering substances for almost a year now and the gifts in my life continue to blossom.  I have been dreaming of yoga teacher training for years and it appears that I will be heading off for level 1 training on June 9th.  So, the emphasis of this blog will be a better combination of both yoga and sobriety as I begin a personal 30 day yoga challenge in preparation for training.  Of course, I am going to make sure that this is the ideal way to prepare for what is known to be a rigorous week of pushing oneself to their limits, emotionally, spiritually and physically.  I’m going to admit that I have hit the doldrums a few times where the wind in my sails seems to be more still than what I am comfortable with.  Kundalini yoga is all about finding your edges and going through them.  The trickiest part for me is to remember that those doldrums are the edges of my comfort zone, not a permanaent place in time that I am stuck.  On Sunday we talked about a reading out of the Science of Mind text that talked about “swinging from inspiration to action, contemplation to accomplishment and, from prayer to performance.”  I sometimes tend to love being in the quiet, with God, so much that I struggle to find my footing in this human reality.  I get so raised up by turning my attention within and turning my attention on high that it has been(once or twice) less than graceful when I open the outer eye and have my attention reflecting back to me, this world of effects.  I am, currently, in a growth stage as I feel that I am in gestation… well, to be honest, I hope in the gestational stage and not just “stagnant.”  I believe I am in the gestational stage and I hear the reminder from within that “it gets darkest before the light.”  I think it takes a spiritually mature person to walk this kind of faith when the dark nights of our soul begin to arrive.  It is an honor to have these presented to us by the Uni-verse because in some fashion it means that we are ready to face the inner patterns which have held us back for so long.  I lack patience in the process sometimes… I know I lack patience because it almost feels like if I’m not moving forward at Mach 12 with my hair on fire than I begin to doubt that there is anything happening at all for my good.  Yep, you could say I have a little growing to do in the arena.  So, today I am committed to remembering that it is ok to surrender the entirety of my life to the Presence and Power of Good that I call God and allow the tides of life to gently guide me and wash over me, all the good that I could possible need.  I allow the gifts of the day, the gifts of sobriety, the gifts of yoga and the gifts of my dedication over the years to flourish and to be just what they are.  I focus myself here in this day, fully present and available with all of my senses and the harmony of my mind, body and spirit to the perfection.

2 comments:

  1. Hey! My name is Hillary and I am a recovering student at UNC-Charlotte. I have a sobriety date of July 10, 2008. We have started making efforts to implement a recovery community on this college campus. It is called a Collegiate Recovery Community (CRC). We are following a replica model that Texas Tech has successfully established. Our blog is crcuncc.blogspot.com, I am the only one that has been writing on the blog, having a hard time getting people to share. Instead I have been broadening the scope by actively posting other blogs, articles and related material. I want to show that we are not doing this alone. I think it is imperative to collaborate and share our experience, strength and hope to bring awareness. Thank you so much for doing what you do!!!! It is amazing and you are not alone, look forward to following you. Hillary B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Hillary :-) Thank you so much for posting on my blog... Way to go on pioneering the CRC on your campus - that is cool beyond words. Also, congrats on almost four solid years of sobriety - that is huge! I am looking forward to checking out your blog and I agree that "it is imperative that we collaborate and share our experience, strength and hope." Thanks again :-) Lots of Love. Ashley

    ReplyDelete